- International Monetary Fund
- Published Date:
- January 1992
© 1992 International Monetary Fund
Charts and Cover Design: IMF Graphics Section
Private market financing for developing countries / by a staff team from the Policy Development and Review Department; Charles Collyns … [et al.].
p. cm—(World economic and financial surveys)
ISSN 0258-7440 = World Economic and Financial Surveys
1. Loans, Foreign—Developing countries. 2. Debts, External—Developing countries. 3. Debt relief—Developing countries. 4. Debt conversion—Developing countries. I. Collyns, Charles. II. International Monetary Fund. Policy Development and Review Dept. III. Series.
HG3891.5.P75 1992 92—38191
(US$12.00 to full-time faculty and students at universities and colleges)
Please send orders to:
International Monetary Fund, Publication Services
700 19th Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20431, U.S.A.
Tel: (202) 623–7430 Telefax: (202) 623–7201
- I. Overview and Current Issues
- II. Commercial Bank Debt Restructuring
- III. Recent Developments in Private Market Financing
- IV. Issues in Market Re-Entry
- V. External Debt Management
- A1. Amounts of Medium- and Long-Term Bank Debt Restructured, 1985–September 1992
- A2. Terms and Conditions of Bank Debt Restructurings and Financial Packages, 1989–September 1992
- A3. Debt and Debt-Service Reduction in Commercial Bank Agreements, 1987–September 1992
- A4. Debt-for-Development Conversions
- A5. International Bond Issues by Selected Developing Country Borrowers, July 1991–June 1992
- A6. International Bond Issues by Developing Countries, 1987–First Half 1992
- A7. International Bond Issues by Developing Countries by Type of Borrower
- A8. Yield Spread at Launch for Unenhanced Bond Issues by Developing Countries
- A9. International Bond Issues by Developing Countries by Currency of Denomination
- A10. Issues Under Euro-Medium-Term Note Programs, April 1991–June 1992
- A11. International Borrowing Facilities for Developing Countries
- A12. Bank Credit Commitments by Country of Destination, 1987–First Half 1992
- A13. Concerted Lending: Commitments and Disbursements, 1983–July 1992
- A14. Terms of Long-Term Bank Credit Commitments, 1986–May 1992
- A15. Terms on Syndicated Bank Credits for Selected Developing Countries, 1989–May 1992
- A16. Provisioning Regulations Against Claims on Developing Countries
- A17. Gross Public-Sector Disbursements
- A18. Nonfinancial Public-Sector Balances
- A19. Gross National Savings and Investment
The following symbols are used throughout this paper:
… to indicate that data are not available;
— to indicate that the figure is zero or less than half the final digit shown, or that the item does not exist;
– between years or months (e.g., 1992–93 or January–June) to indicate the years or months covered, including the beginning and ending years or months;
/ between years (e.g., 1992/93) to indicate a crop or fiscal (financial) year.
“Billion” means a thousand million.
Minor discrepancies between constituent figures and totals are due to rounding.
The term “country,” as used in this paper, does not in all cases refer to a territorial entity that is a state as understood by international law and practice. The term also covers some territorial entities that are not states, but for which statistical data are maintained and provided internationally on a separate and independent basis.
This study was prepared in the Policy Development and Review Department of the International Monetary Fund, under the direction of Charles Collyns, Chief of the Debt and Program Financing Issues Division. Its authors are John Clark, Robert Feldman, Ahsan Mansur, Paul Mylonas, Karen Parker, Susan Prowse, Robert Rennhack, and Philippe Szymczak, economists in the Division. The study updates information and analyses contained in Private Market Financing for Developing Countries, World Economic and Financial Surveys (Washington: IMF, December 1991). The study was completed in September 1992 and reflects developments to that time.
Background for the study was provided in part by informal discussions with commercial and investment banks and regulatory and monetary authorities in Frankfurt, London, New York, and Paris in May–June 1992. The work benefited from comments by staff in other departments of the IMF and by members of the Executive Board. Opinions expressed, however, are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the IMF or its Executive Directors.
Louis Pauly prepared the text for publication. The authors are also grateful to Anne Jansen for excellent research assistance, and to Delrene Alvis, Ana Knowles, and Lucia Smillo for their valuable word processing services. David M. Cheney, of the External Relations Department, gave the manuscript a final editing and coordinated production.